Saturday, October 11, 2014

Canvas Corp - 2015 Design Team Call

Every once in a great while, I convince myself that I should apply for a commercial design team, not because I think I'm so talented, I know I am not.  I do it because constant rejection is the key to divine humility.  This time I was encouraged by my bud Kathy Clement to apply.  She was thinking of applying.  So, I took the plunge.  We shall see, said the blind man!

PROJECT #1  - The Spindle
Kathy has this awesome thread spindle that she uses to "brand" her project posts.  I thought it was really cool and asked her where she got it.  I didn't want to use it as she does, obviously, but I thought it would be a neat way to display my Prima Fibers (my lastest passion).  The fibers come on these really cool boards, but the spindle had more appeal for me, so....... I made my own.
Inspiration #1-  KATHY'S SPINDLE  - 
Inspiration #2 - Old Paper Towel Core and A Canvas Corp Canvas Sheet Package
We use a ton of paper towels and I wanted to do something with the core...so I cut it into small sections and used as the core of my spindle.
The Project - CHANA'S FIBER SPINDLE
The base of the spindle is an empty ribbon spool.  I cut octaganal and round chipboard pieces, painted them and then covered them using papers from 7 Gypsies'  Paddington 6"x6" variety pack.  An overhead shot of the spindle would have been nice (didn't think of it when I was shooting) to show how the spindle ties in with the other elements.
THE BACK
 Tim Holtz Hitch Post fasteners and a bead are used as stabilizers.  They work great when the spindle is full.  I just tuck the ribbon/fiber behind them and they don't fall out. 
The Inspiration for the Mini Album came from the label on this Canvas Corp. Product.  I wanted to use items from my stash and realized while working on my spindle, that I only had small amounts of the 7 Gypises pads on hand.  I was curious if I could mix three very different paper varities into a cohesive design.  The b/w polka dots with the brown and canvas seemed like the perfect palette.
Project #2 - The Brown Paper Bag Mini Album 
Project #3 - The Journal Card/Note Card Holder

Products used:
7 Gypies: Paddington 6"x6" paper variety pack, 7 Gypies Lille 6"x6" paper variety pack; 7 Gypies Postale Index Cards and Envelopes
Bella Boutique Stack - 12"x12"
Simple Stories: Happy Day 6"x6" Pad
Joann.com: Printed Burlap - Postale
Graphic 45: Large Tags
Prima: Vintage Trinkets
Tim Holtz: Hitch Post Fasteners 
American Crafts: Ribbo
Misc: Paper towel core, chipboard, gesso, acrylic paint, beads, the usual suspects

Challenges Entered: (I'll Be Back!)





6 comments:

  1. Do you hear that "THUD" sound? That is my jaw hitting the table! Wow, wow, wow! A trifecta of paper engineering, imagination and incredibly skillful paper crafting! I must, however, take you to task. You ARE that talented, my friend! I love your take on my wooden spindle! The design is so ingenious and to think that it all started with an empty paper towel roll....I have no words! That paper bag mini album is gorgeous...and FUN! I love the stamped burlap tas, all the wonderful pockets and pull outs and the papers you chose to put together are perfect. I love it so much I want to hold it in my hands...and then run away with it! The journal note holder is nothing short of amazing. It is so chic and stylish, and I love your play on the CC label. You clever girl, you! What an amazing audition piece. If they don't choose you, it's their loss. You'd be an amazing asset to their design team. Standing ovation, Chana! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Thanks, Kathy! You have really made my day! I am glad you like the spindle! Well, they will make the announcement on the 17th...but your fabulous words of encouragement will carry me on a cloud until then!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy is so right Chana... this piece showcases your talent so beautifully! This will sound funny at first - but I think the fact that you can no longer 'color' up to your own standards has opened the door for this new creativity of yours! You are a true Paper Artist and I hope 'they' see it and choose you for the DT! Good luck my friend!
    ~ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ginny, for your encouraging words. I must admit, I am enjoying myself!

    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice project as always - love your work tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Chana ,

    A big compliment for the lovely projects you have made , its very beautyful i like this very much . I have been your follower to, so nice because you have stopping by on my blog to ... thankss .

    Hugs Epie xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana